These healthy hearts are fun to make and eat for kids of all ages. Ideal for Valentine’s Day, or any day you feel like cooking something that says “I love you.” This simple recipe combines a classic Mexican Quesadilla with Indianlife spices and our Non-GMO Spinach Wraps. Any of our Non-GMO oversized wraps or Indianlife Organics Wraps can be used here – try different colors and flavors for even more fun!
Makes 4 servings
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 an onion chopped
2 cloves garlic chopped
1/2 C black beans, cooked/drained or canned
1/2 C Corn
1/4-1/2 tsp. Indianlife Red Chili Powder or increase to taste*
1/2 C Vegan Cheese Alternative (vegetarians can use grated cheddar)
1 tsp. Indianlife Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Large tomato, diced
4 Green Onions Chopped
1 Tbsp. Cilantro cut finely or chopped
One Package Indianlife Spinach Wraps.
Remove 4 wraps from package.
Cut all layers into an identical(or close) size large heart. This can be done “freehand” or you can use a large heart-shaped cookie cutter to ensure uniform size.
Separate the two layers, place one layer on a cookie sheet (lined with baking paper if possible). Set the other layer aside until you have placed filling on the first layer.
Prepare wraps. Preheat oven/ Toaster oven to bake at 350 F (325 Convection Oven)/
- In large pan/skillet saute the garlic and chopped onion in the olive oil until onions are translucent
- Add the drained black beans, corn and spices, cook on medium eat 2 minutes, then reduce heat to low and cook for about 3 more minutes
- Toast one side of each heart-shaped tortilla in oil, remove when they are crispy and brown or the texture you prefer
- Place your vegan cheese on the cooked side, the heat from the tortilla will likely melt it
- Add a layer of the black bean/corn/onion mixture to the cheese
- Top with diced tomato, chopped green onion and cilantro
- Finish with a tortilla heart top
- Compact the filling by pressing the two tortillas lightly together to flatten the quesadilla