Looking for a new vegan recipe non-vegans will love? Perhaps you’re “jonesing” for an incredible tuna melt after going vegan? Indianlife and “Veggies Do it Better”, an Oregon-based Facebook Community dedicated to incredibly delicious, accessible and easy-to-prepare vegan cuisine, has your back!
This vegan “Tuna Melt” features the gooey melted vegan cheese of your choice and Soy Curls.
Our Indianlife Torilla Wrap wraps it all up and makes creating this and other recipes easy! In fact, you can substitute any of our Indianlife Large Wraps in this simple, delicious recipe.
First, we prep our vegan protein. Soy Curls deliver “meat-like” taste and texture, and a common question is, how do they differ from Textured Vegetable Protein or TVP? TVP is a highly processed product made from de-fatted soy flour, a by product of soy oil production. Soy Curls are made from 100% whole soybeans, and while still a processed food, are considered by many to be less so than TVP. And Soy Curls contain the soybean’s complete amino acid profile.
For this recipe, the Soy Curls are flavored in sublime brine and soaked for just 10 to 20 minutes. Create the brine as per instructions below. Add your Soy Curls; all curls should be completely covered by brine. After the Soy Curls have soaked, drain into a strainer and remove excess liquid by pressing down on the them with a bowl. Reserve some of the brine, and pulse the Soy Curls in a food processor until JUST shredded. For the “tuna” texture we’re seeking, we want to make sure we don’t over-process them! Use pulse and remember when processing, “less is more.” Now our meatless “tuna” is ready to go!
FULL RECIPE: Vegan Tuna Melt with Indianlife Tortilla Wrap
Serving Size: Makes one Vegan Tuna Melt Wrap
2 C Shredded Soy Curls
1/2 C Vegan Mayonnaise
1/3 C Red Onion (chopped)
1/3 C Pickles or Pickle Relish (chopped)
1/3 C Celery (chopped)
1/4 C Diced Black Olives (chopped)
3 TBSP Pickle Juice
1 TBSP Yellow Mustard
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 TBSP Soy Curl Brine
1.5 tsp. Garlic, chopped (approx. 1 or 2 cloves)
1/2 Pack Seaweed Snacks or One Sheet of Nori
1/2 Vegan Bouillion Cube or Vegan Chicken Bouillon Cube
2″x2″ Square of Kombu
1 Small Tomato (sliced)
2 Slices Vegan Cheddar
- To make brine, combine roughly two cups of boiling water with bouillon and Kombu, stir until the cube melts.
- Add soy curls. All curls should be completely submerged.
- Let soak for 10-20m then drain in a strainer and press down with a bowl. Reserve some of the brine
- Add soy curls to a food processor and pulse until just shredded. DO NOT OVER PROCESS
- Whisk the sauce ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add celery, onion, pickles/relish and olives
- Add shredded soy curls and combine.
- Crumbled up seaweed snacks or sheet of nori and combine.
- Assemble your wrap by adding your vegan tuna, vegan cheese and tomato. Grill your wrap in a caste iron skillet on medium heat until brown on 2-4 sides.
Did you make this recipe? Tag us @Indianlife and our friends @VeggiesDoItBetter!